Are you one of the students or working professionals who stay exposed to
certain digital devices like laptops, computers or mobile phones? If yes, you
might have suffered from digital eye strain.
Now, you might wonder what digital eye strain is and how you can deal with this health concern. While there are screen protection glasses to serve your purposes, you can rely on various other ways to deal with the given situation. Without any further delay, let’s delve deeper!
Digital Eye Strain- What Do You Mean by It?
Digital eye strain is a vision-related concern that takes place due to prolonged tablet, computer, cell phone and e-reader use. Here, your eyes might feel uncomfortable and tired after a certain point in time. The more you use these devices, the overall level of discomfort and pain will keep on increasing. Digital eye strain can be extremely common in adults and children.
What Are the Causes of Digital Eye Strain?
Let’s check out the common causes of digital eye strain at a quick glance:
- Extremely small texts that are too tough to read can lead to digital eye strain
- Bad lighting condition
- Poor posture while using your digital devices
- The continuous glare of the screen of your phone, tablet and computer
- If you check out your devices from awkward angles, it can also pave the way toward developing digital eye strain
- We often blink less while looking at our digital devices. This is another cause that exposes individuals to digital eye strain
What Are the Symptoms of Digital Eye Strain?
Digital device users often ignore certain symptoms that speak volumes about digital eye strain. Some of the potential symptoms typically include:
- Dry eyes
- Watery eyes
- Sensitivity to extreme light conditions
- Blurred vision
- Shoulder and neck pain
- Burning eyes
- Difficulty in concentrating on various tasks
- Itchy eyes
- Having issues while keeping your eyes open
- Discomfort and eye strain
Can You Wear Blue Light Glasses to Prevent Digital Eye Strain?
This is one of the most common questions asked by individuals dealing with digital strain. According to some of the experts in this field, blue light emitting from the devices isn’t responsible for causing digital eye strain. These options are less likely to protect you against macular degeneration. But, putting on your blue light glasses UK is never the wrong step. Since these blue light lenses are famous for grabbing better sleep, you can use them while using your devices late at night. A good amount of sleep definitely relieves you from unwanted eye pain and discomfort.
How to Diagnose Digital Eye Strain?
Problems such as digital eye strain need to be addressed and diagnosed as soon as possible. Check out the process mentioned below in this blog:
- Make sure to get in touch with an eye specialist and hand over your patient history to them. They will learn whether you have any prescription medications and underlying medical conditions that could impair your vision to a certain extent.
- Opt for a visual acuity test- it will enable you to understand how your vision is getting impacted by the overall screen time.
- After that, the eye specialist will measure your peripheral vision. They will observe whether your eyes feel difficulties while focusing on objects or not. It will help them to reach a perfect conclusion.
How Can You Combat Digital Eye Strain?
After the diagnosing process is over, it’s time to pave your way toward grabbing the treatment options. To be honest, there are small lifestyle changes that can fix your vision with ease. Let’s check them out:
Do you know what this 20-20-20 rule is? Well, let me explain it to you! In the 20-20-20 rule, you need to consider a 20-second break after working on your system for 20 minutes and look at an object that is 20 feet away.
When compared to CRT monitors, LCD ones are more comfortable on your eyes. Since CRT monitors have a higher ‘flicker rate’, they make you feel uneasy and in pain.
Adjust the Text Size on Your Screen
Bigger texts are easier to view- you are already aware of that part. When you try to read small texts, you need to squint your eyes at times. If you are using a desktop, adjust the text size from the toolbar up there.
Work on Your Schedule
Try to spend less time using your digital devices. If you tend to use your mobile and computer for almost the entire day, it will definitely cause pain and strain. After a hectic day at work, consider finding some other form of recreation. Also, don’t forget to take breaks in between your work. It will help you to feel better.
Contact Lenses and Eyeglasses
Optometrists can help you with these eyeglasses and contact lenses that are exclusively curated to meet your eyewear needs. Since these people have years of expertise in this field, they will be able to guide you. Grab the perfect lens tints, lens powers and coatings to maximise your visual comfort and abilities.
Apart from that, you can also opt for vision therapy. Also referred to as visual training, it is nothing but a structured program that is designed to improve your visual abilities. Here, your brain and eyes will learn to coordinate and work together. Thanks to these exercises, remediating deficiencies in eye teaming, eye movement and eye focusing is as smooth as a cakewalk now.
Look After the Positioning of Your Computer
Your computer must be placed in such a location that allows your screen to avoid glare. You can use drapes and blinds on the windows. Also, use bulbs of lower wattage instead of installing light bulbs in desk lamps.
If you are unable to minimise the glares, install anti-glare screens as an option. These filters are used to decrease light reflecting from the screen. This is all about digital eye strain and the solutions. Take care of your eyes and the world will automatically become a better place.References: